Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Week Number 2

MOM!(and family)I was waiting to hear from you and hadn't heard from you for awhile so I was scared I had sent this to the wrong email. Well this week has been pretty good, tiring and hard, but good. I've gotten a lot of letters from people so this is always fun. You never realize how much you like mail until you're a missionary. We get mail everyday after lunch and dinner and so I am always hoping to see some letters on my desk when I walk in.Wednesday we had class all day and then had our first day in the TRC. Our "task" at the beginning was to be "contacting" and talk to people about our message and our purpose in Russian! It was very intimidating because the people we were teaching spoke very fast and spoke a TON of words we didn't know. I just sat there and smiled and shook my head pretending I knew what they were talking about. We had to talk to them for about 7 minutes and then asked if we could come back another time to teach them more about the church. We then left and "came back" a couple minutes later and taught the first lesson (in English). Overall the expereience was good and I think the Spirit was there while we were teaching. It is a scary and humbling experience because that is the real deal. The "investigators" can ask any questions so you have to be prepared and have the Spirit with you to help you deal with their concerns. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday were just normal class days and were all REALLY LONG! It was fun though beacuse on Thursday I went and visited Jules (emily's mom) in the dress shop. She is so great and it's nice to get a big long hug from someone that knows you. It is crazy how much you are able to cram into one day. We have been learning a TON of Russian grammar which is difficult but fun to learn. I wasn't really getting it until last night and it just sort of clicked. We practiced teaching the first principle of the first lesson all in Russian last night! Can you believe that? I've only been here a little over a week and a half and I already have started teaching in Russian! It's crazy! Sunday was good as usual and we were able to go to church, Relief Society, and the devotional. The devotional was all about perservering and serving with all of your heart. It was good for me to hear because it made me remember that Heavenly Father knows what we are doing and is always there to comfort us and help us when things get hard. They have Film Night Sunday night which is fun and we watched the Joseph Smith movie which is always really good. Watching his life and the sacrifices he has makes me realize that serving the Lord for a year and a half is such a small thing I can do for Him.Today again was P-Day and we went to the temple this morning which is always really fun. I was really hoping to see someone I know there but I haven't yet. We just finished lunch and decided to get our emails done before we go to do laundry so we weren't as stressed or worn out. Seriously I am dreading going to do my laundry!I've memorized the First Vision in Russian which I'm really excited about and am still adding things to my testimony and prayers. Church is interesting because they give a topic the night before and can call anyone up to speak. The first half of church is all in Russian and then the Branch counselors and their wives take turns speaking each week in English. I really hope I don't get called up any time too soon!:)We had 5 native Russian sisters arrive at the MTC this week and so that has been fun to see them around and talk to them occassionally. A few of them speak English but I am amazed at how fast Russian natives speak! I'm so scared to actually have to start teaching those people.As far as my district goes we have 8 elders. 5 of the 8 are going to Samara with my companion and I and the other 3 are going to Novosibirsk. I guess that Uncle Hal gave them their calls and so when they found out he was my uncle they were really excited. They really want him to come speak to our class about the mission. The elders are a little immature at times but they are growing on me and I am starting to recognize each of their gifts and why they have been called to serve. I am definitely learning from their ENERGY and excitement to go out and serve.On P-day we go to the temple, study, do laundry, write letters and then have the devotional tonight. I think my companion and I are going to sing in the choir again which is always fun for me.I got a sweet letter from Taylor so tell him thanks and tell him that I will write him back soon! I'm so glad to hear that your trip was fun and you had a good time. Hopefully dad wasn't too worried about taxes and working. How is the job hunt coming? I realized I forgot to tell you that you should reply to this email using DearElder so that I get it like tomorrow and then write me an email Tuesday so that it's more recent...does that make sense? I just want to hear your reply sooner than a week. And the picture attachments didn't work because they wouldn't open on this computer.... I think it just might be all the computers at the MTC are unable to open picture attachments but maybe once I'm out in the field it will be better.Other than that everything is good here. Although this is HARD, I think it might be one of the hardest things I have ever done, I know that this is where I need to be and that this is the Lord's work. He prepares His servants to accomplish the things they need to so even though I feel inadequate as far as teaching in Russian goes and knowing the Gospel as well as I should, the most important thing is to remember that with Him everything is possible. He will bless me and who I teach and where I serve.Luckily Kubo has been updating me on things like Burn Notice, my house, the Bachelorette, important things really and has offered to bring me anything I need at any time. I've gotten letters from Ami, Katie, Devin and Sarah, an awesome package from Sara and a couple of cards from people in the ward. I also got a really nice letter from Andrew. It is always good to know that people love and are caring for you.I am really liking my roommates especially as I get to know them better. We have gym 5 times a week and so it is fun to run or walk with them and get to know them. One of the sisters and I do are doing our push-ups everynight together (tell Patricia) so that has been good. For gym I usually run for about 30 minutes and then go and play volleyvball for a few more. It is intersting because I am usually the only sister playing with a bunch of elders but it is fun!
Keep those letters coming!!
Love you,
Sister Morris

2 comments:

  1. Love this letter. Sounds like she is catching on to Russian very quickly. Go Whit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great to be able to read her letter! It sounds like she's doing great. I need to figure out how to write to her.

    ReplyDelete

Followers