Family and Friends!
Happy New Year!!! Oh it was so fun to read all of your email and be able to see all of the fun you had for Christmas! It seems like everyone had a great time and all went well! The pictures were awesome, THANKYOU! I'm so glad that everyone got to be together and had such a great time! It's also good to hear about the basketball, Taylor keep up the good work and go and score some points for me! Dad thanks so much for your Christmas list, I loved it! I especially loved the pictures of Lucy's Birthday party! I'm pretty sure I want to turn 3 again and have Jonathan's mom plan my party! That was awesome! I have to say I've been thinking about the tea party I'm going to throw when I get back from Russia. I have some really great ideas from Valentina and now with the piroshki recipe from my companion, I think it will be delicious!
Well this week was pretty good, New Year's is HUGE in Russia and so it was fun to see people getting ready for it and all of the festivity in the air. The week started with a big treat, we went to REAL. Every since I came to Saratov I have wanted to go to Real.... just the name brought mystery to the air. It really is just a Walmart-type store but it is the closest thing to America I've seen since I got here. My boot broke Sunday night and so Monday we called and asked for permission to go to Real so I could buy new boots (which we didn't find) but we did find a lot of yummy food for really cheap. It was fun to see a “real” store with shopping carts and everything because all of the stores in my area are really small and choices are limited. So the big treat this week was going to REAL!
For those of you who are counting, I've only fallen 3 times this week, 2 times this morning trying to run to the internet club so we could email and then run to buy boots (still don't have new ones:) That brings the big total up to 9! YEAH! Hopefully this week will be 0 but we'll see. The sidewalks are pretty slippery right now because it rained for about 2 days straight and then last light dropped to like -10. This morning it is about -17 which is actually pretty nice.
New Year's Eve was pretty good and my cute companion made two standard Russian dishes for the occasion. She made a salad with fish, beets, carrots, peas, eggs and potatoes that was really good and then one with crab, rice, eggs, and corn. She also made my favorite, piroshki!!! MMMM.... Valentina had brought us more of her delicious homemade jam and so we put that in the piroshki and they were delicious. I also found popcorn at REAL and so that was a big treat and we drank a diet coke (the first time i've bought coke in Russia- I know, a miracle). Overall it was a good day and night! It was nice to have a night to be inside our apartment all safe and warm. We planned and cleaned and did some paper work for the area and then got to go to bed around 9:30!!! What a dream!
Yesterday we found out some sad news. The mission couple who has been in Saratov and who we see ocassionally on Sunday's (they have become my mom and dad here in Russia) have gotten transferred to the Vladivostok mission. We don't know why but they found out Friday they would be chaning missions and left today. We said goodbye to them yesterday and it was sad for me! I love them and will miss them as will ALL of the members here in Saratov. They did so much for the branches here and especially the leadership here to help train, teach and organize things. They were an amazing couple and the Vladivostok mission is SOOOOOOO lucky to get them but we will sure miss them!
There have been fireworks going off every night this week and so it is funny to sit in bed and listen to the fireworks and happenings on the street. Christmas is January 7 and so that will be fun as well to see what the Russian people do to celebrate Christmas. We will have a normal working day and so I am excited to be able to be out on the street and see what is going on. Well I think that's about everything here! We are happy, warm and loving working in our branch and area. I feel so blessed to work with the Russian people and LOVE THEM! They are truly amazing and there are amazing things awaiting Russia! I know that soon there will be a temple in Russia and so am looking forward to it. I love you all! Thanks for the emails, support and especially prayers, I have felt them this last week and so thankyou! Go out and do some missionary work!
Love,
Sister Morris
Wow, what a great letter writer Whitney is! She must be a very fast typist. My daughter Amy is also in the Samara mission. If I can figure out how, I'll get a blogspot going. Thanks for sharing. I love the energy and enthusiasm Whitney shares, and her love for the Russian people. She's amazing! Carrie Jackson (jacksonz00@hotmail.com)
ReplyDelete