Monday, May 3, 2010

May? WHAT??

Family and Friends!
How did it become May!? I don't even know! It is crazy to think that it is already May, especially considering that we are still in scarves, but I am glad to hear that the weather at home is cold as well. We have actually had BEAUTIFUL weather recently and have been so excited to be on the street without a coat! WOOHOO! The trees are all turning green and flowers are starting to appear. Russia really is very beautiful this time of the year and I am LOVING getting to experience a different season here. AND in the most important news... CONGRATS Ami on the baby! She is SOOO beautiful and I am so excited to come and meet her in the next edition of cousin camp! Oh I was so happy to hear that everything went well and that you are both home safe and healthy. Good luck in being a new mom! You are amazing!
Well this week was good. I did get my new companion and things have been good. I LOVED my time with my mini-missionary Lena who is absolutely amazing and strong. Her testiomyn is astounding and i loved learning from her as we studied together, worked together and just had fun. We did make cookies last P-day and she called the next day to say they had made them again at home and everyone loved them. It was such a treat! My new companion is Sister Sorenson and she is from Texas. She has been in Russia 6 months and served her whole time in Taliatti. We have enjoyed getting to know each other and to do the work here in this area. We have had some great experiences so far and are looking forward to lots more as we have the opportunity to serve together.
Well we had some great experiences this week. We were able to meet a woman on the street who had one of those questions of the soul. Her intial question was if we thought the planets were all going to align in 2012 and if the world was going to end or something like that and I just shrugged my shoulders and said "I don't know". I thought that it would be a good time to use the "phone a friend" card and call dad who should know about that kind of thing with his insane knowledge of science fiction (and yes dad, I do read your emails every week). But we got to the "bottom of things" and found out that she had the question that a lot of people have of why is there so much trial, sorrow and tribulation in the world if Heavenly Father really does love us and what is after this life. We were able to bear testimony and share with her a lot of information about the Plan of Salvation. It was a great convesation and we defintiely felt uplifted. It's conversations like that that make you think, "yeah, I want to be a missionary." It made me really think about why is there so much "unjusitce" in the world and why do some people have so many problems while it seems that others "dance through life" as my good friend Fiero says. But we know the answer and we know the outcome. The plan of salvation and the sacrifice that our Savior Jesus Christ made for us is such a miracle! I may never be able to explain if the planets will align and the sun will stop burnign and all of the banks will close (or something like that- I don't remember exactly all of the signs she listed) but I do know that regardless of trial and tribulation Heavenly Father loves each and every one of us. I do know that Jesus Christ WILLINGLY gave His life for us and it is through that "great and lasting sacrifice" that we will all return to live with our Heavenly Father someday. Although there is trial and tirbulation They have given us the key to happiness and it is the Gospel. It is found in keeping the commandments, using the atonement and truly getting to know our Savior. So even if the world ends in.. 2 years... we know where we are going and why and it is a beautiful gift from our Heavenly Father. So.... in short... the knowledge we have is something that we need to share with others. So when the question cmes up of "I think I saw Saturn closer to the moon last night" we know that everything is in the Lord's hands and as long as we are diligent and obedient, if the planets really do align, maybe it just means we'll finally get to talk to the aliens. I love you all! Thanks for the love, support and prayers. Continue to help the missionaries in your area!
Sister Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers